This weekend’s workshop will be postponed. New date and time TBA!
Join the JHU Healthy Community Initiative on Saturday, February 23rd to learn about how your heart works and the best way to keep it healthy!
Date: Saturday, February 23rd
Location: Waverly Library
We will be serving a heart healthy brunch and leading all participants in a family yoga activity, followed by separate interactive workshops for adults and kids. There will be raffle prizes!
Please RSVP at JHUHCI@gmail.com
It’s simple to be healthy and still have a great Thanksgiving! To avoid the pounds but still have a fun holiday, follow these simple tips this Thanksgiving:
- Take a family walk early in the day and after Thanksgiving dinner. A walk is great for family bonding and burning off extra calories to prevent weight gain
- Watch portions! You can still indulge in all of your Thanksgiving favorites as long as you exercise moderation and consume smaller portions
- Eat breakfast- Have a small breakfast (such as an egg or a piece of toast) Thanksgiving morning to take the edge off your hunger so that you are less likely to overeat during dinner
- Eat slowly- Savor your food and focus on family and friends. You will be less likely to overeat and feel fuller on a plate of food
- Balance your plate! Have an even amount of whole grains, fruits and vegetables on your plate in addition to meat and other courses
Healthy Community Initiative hosted its second workshop of the school year last night at Waverly Elementary. Kids and parents alike participated in a Zumba demonstration, learned about the benefits of exercise and how to incorporate it into their daily routine, and made a healthy chicken salad sandwich!
Don’t forget to join Healthy Community Initiative TONIGHT from 6:30-7:30pm at the Waverly Elementary School Parent Room. We will be discussing how to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. There will be a separate kids and adults workshop.
FREE Dinner and Raffle Prizes!
Join the JHU Healthy Community Initiative on Monday, November 19th to learn about making exercise a fun and enjoyable part of your daily routine!
Getting Pumped About Exercise!
Date: Monday, November 19
Location: Waverly Elementary Parent Room
There will be separate interactive workshops for adults and kids. Dinner and raffle prizes will be provided!
Please RSVP at JHUHCI@gmail.com
Healthy Community Initiative successfully completed it’s first workshops of the year at the Waverly Library. Workshop participants learned about building a balanced meal, portion control, healthy Thanksgiving diet tips, exercise, and more!
Our first workshop will be this Saturday, November 3rd at the Waverly Library. There will be a workshop from 11:00am-12:00pm that focuses on healthy eating and a workshop from 12:30pm-1:30pm that discusses how to make exercise fun and easy. There will be separate workshops for adults and children. Hope to see you there!
Welcome back to a new school year! As the school year picks up and workloads increase, you will undoubtedly be spending more time studying. Long hours of studying are mentally exhausting but can also lead to unhealthy snacking. To maintain a healthy mind and body, we’ve compiled a list of five smart snacks to keep you energized as you hit the books:
- Nuts: Try 15-20 (a large handful) of cashews, walnuts, peanuts, and almonds. Nuts are full of protein, naturally filling, and easy to take to your favorite study spot.
- Sunflower Seeds: Sunflower seeds are packed with healthy fats, proteins, fibers, minerals, and vitamin E.
- Veggies- Snacking on baby carrots, broccoli, sliced peppers, or any other of your favorite veggies are a great way to stock up on vitamins and minerals as well as fiber.
- Yogurt- Instead of reaching for the ice cream, try fat free yogurt or Greek yogurt. Yogurt is full of protein and a great source of calcium.
- Whole Grain Cereal- Cereals are filled with nutrients and fiber. When paired with some skim milk, this snack is also a great source of calcium and protein.